JohnTem82387976

30 July 2012

Brenda and Johnny - This Can't Be Love























Label: Decca
Year of Release: 1964

So much has been written about the "Doctor Who" theme tune over the years that it almost feels as if there's very little left to be said.  One of the most groundbreaking (and terrifying) electronic compositions ever recorded, you could sit and talk about it as being one of the wonders of recorded sound if you wanted, and I probably wouldn't argue much with you.

When released as a single it didn't chart, but it sold slowly and steadily over the course of many Who seasons, and the other wonder surrounding the disc became what the hell this was doing on the flip.  Acting as the dark side of a record filled with futuristic horror is a couple called Brenda and Johnny performing a beat version of Rodgers and Hart's "This Can't Be Love", whooping up an utterly conventional storm.  It's an enjoyable piece of period pop, actually, filled with odd beats, buzzing guitars and over enthusiastic vocals, and possesses a naivete that renders it completely charming - but the connection with "Doctor Who" is something that has baffled record collectors for many years.  There were no Brendas or Johnnys in any of the series, there are no obvious links to the BBC Radiophonic Workshop here (Mike Leander takes on production duties) and in fact the whole thing simply seems to be a strange offcut from the Decca archives.  One would have thought that they could have found a more appropriate piece of instrumental music somewhere in their vaults, but perhaps there were other reasons (money, time, favours) which involved this being used instead.

Whoever Brenda and Johnny were, it would seem the duo never bothered us again - at least not in this guise - but certainly enjoyed a long and sustained period of publicity throughout the sixties by finding their voices heard by every "Doctor Who" fan who purchased this record.  Have you seen them?  Do you know who they are?  Do call.



1 comment:

Stacey Bruno said...

How i got my husband back.Am Stacey Bruno by name I never believed in love spells or magic until I met this spell caster once when i went to see my friend in Indian this year on a business summit. I meant a man who's name is Dr ATILA he is really powerful and could help cast spells to bring back one's gone, lost, misbehaving lover and magic money spell or spell for a good job or luck spell .I'm now happy & a living testimony cos the man i had wanted to marry left me 5 weeks before our wedding and my life was upside down cos our relationship has been on for 3years. I really loved him, but his mother was against us and he had no good paying job. So when i met this spell caster, i told him what happened and explained the situation of things to him. At first i was undecided,skeptical and doubtful, but i just gave it a try. And in 7 days when i returned to Canada, my boyfriend (now husband) called me by himself and came to me apologizing that everything had been settled with his mom and family and he got a new job interview so we should get married. I didn't believe it cos the Dr ATILA only asked for my name and my boyfriends name and all i wanted him to do. Well we are happily married now and we are expecting our little kid, and my husband also got the new job and our lives became much better. His email is: atilahealinghome@yahoo.com